Heavy Industrial and Mining Processing Plants present unique challenges for specific requirements with respect to lighting in very arduous conditions.
Quality lighting requires careful evaluation of the following:
- Light fittings are often hosed down to remove the dirt from the lens and require high IP ratings such as IP65, IP66 and IP67.
- Control of glare from bright light sources to minimise impaired vision and temporary blindness to staff. Selection of the most suitable light fitting for the application is critical.
- Illumination levels as low as 40 lux on a walkway and as high as 240 lux in an inspection area. In addition to the horizontal light level often a vertical light level must be achieved for safe movement, navigation at an inspection points. In these areas, the uniformity of the light level is also important. The Australian Standards for illumination must be carefully considered for these applications.
- Ambient temperature as high 55˚C can be experienced in Australia in summer. In addition to this heat light fittings can experience solar heat gain sitting in the sun in multi-story plants that don’t have walls. Thermal cut-off is essential in light fittings to avoid failures.
- Resistance to corrosion from high alkalinity in process plants and salt water close to coastal areas is critical. The use of 316 stainless steel light fittings is required in some applications.
- Many areas have mild to heavy vibration in the plant or on the piece of equipment. Certain light fittings must be built to minimise the effects of vibration. Quality LED’s and electronic components are critical. Resistance to vibration can be achieved through the careful design and assembly of purpose built light fittings for this industry.
- Long life of LED light sources and control gear to reduce maintenance.
- Surge protection devices are also recommended to protect light fittings from electrical inrush on site or to minimise the effects of a lightning strike.
- Correct LED selection of CT (colour temperature) and CRI (colour rendering index)
- Selection of energy saving options such as microwave movement sensors and switching dimming sequences for daylight harvesting.
- Emergency lighting systems for the safe evacuation of buildings, plant and tunnels etc.
For a cost and obligation free evaluation of your general and emergency lighting applications please contact the STURDY LIGHT sales office at [email protected]