- Many LED manufacturers make their products for general applications, and have not had the experience of many years within the mining industry, these years of calling on mine sites and talking with the people that use and install lights on equipment has given Sturdy light the advantage of providing a range of lights that are fit for purpose.
- LED’s and electronics in general can be susceptible to problems from overheating because the lights on mobile fleet are on 24hours per day, 7 days a week. To overcome the heat every fixture in the SLB range has an active thermal management system in its circuitry, this will step dim the lights to prolong the life of the components within the fixture. (i.e. less power in the circuit means less heat being generated)
- The design of the fittings make them easy to install on all sizes of machines, from SLB9 fittings in the kick well on a D11 dozer to a SLB95 on a Dragline boom. Sturdy light has the design capabilities to make brackets to suit all applications.
- Correct choice for fittings is paramount, Sturdy Light have lighting engineers that can assist in choosing the correct fitting for the application. These recommendations will be based on the available power, the type of material being mined, (i.e. white over burden or black coal etc.) the visual effects on the environment (i.e. reducing light pollution) and reducing fatigue for operators by installing specific task lighting and peripheral lighting where excavator operators will be slewing their machines.
- Many machines work with transient power supplies with alternators that can put out a wide range of voltages from 16-16vDC cranking through to 27vDC and above when running. The circuitry inbuilt into the drivers in the fittings allows for this variation.
- Transient spike protection is built into every SLB fitting.
Power spikes are fast, short duration electrical transients in voltage (i.e. voltage spikes), current (i.e. current spikes), or transferred energy (i.e. energy spikes) in an electrical circuit.
Fast, short duration electrical transients (i.e. over voltages) in the electric potential of a circuit are typically caused by:
1. Lightning strikes
2. Power outages
3. Tripped circuit breakers
4. Short circuits
5. Power transitions in other large equipment on the same power line
6. Malfunctions caused by the power company
7. Inductive spikes
- Reverse polarity protection is installed in all fixtures in the Sturdy Light range.
- The SLB9, SLB39 and SLB95 fittings are supplied in 24vDC they can be installed buy staff that do not need Electrical certificates to work on mains powered installations. Technically HV (i.e. high voltage) 36-watt and 70-watt metal halide lights require registered electricians to change the lamps as they have HV ignitors in their circuits.
- Environmental conditions can be detrimental to light fittings, The SLB range of fittings have many inbuilt features such as IK09 impact resistant ultra violet resistant polycarbonate lenses, multiple protective coatings on the housing to make them resistant to acid and alkali splashing on the fixtures and stainless steel hardware such as screws nuts and bolts.